Friday 8 November 2013

An Introduction



Right, hello everyone. Inspired by the latest episode of Malifools, I have decided to throw my metaphorical hat into the ring and share my opinion on the world of Malifaux. So I’m going to do this in a structured manner, at least to begin with. The first thing I think I should do would be to state what I am going to do with this blog. No, wait, I should first state that I have started a few blogs before, made one post, got bored and wondered off, so this could be the first of many, or the first of one. Now, what I’m going to do with this blog. Well I will basically put anything I’m currently working on, things that I have learned from games and other shiny things that have caught my eye from the world of Malifaux. If you enjoy it, great, if you don’t, oh well, thanks for reading one! 

For those of you who don’t know me, and I assume that’s most of you, my name is Matt (@Moderate_Matt on Twitter). I’m a young wargamer, at time of writing I’m 2 and a bit weeks off turning 18, however I have been playing wargames for nearly 5 years. It all started when one of my mates convinced me to go to a games club at my old school, which was run by Joel Henry. Now to start with, I did not intend to get into wargames at all. I thought they were a waste of time and money, but something changed my mind, free stuff! I managed to get my hands on 12 dryads and I was gone. I soon found myself with a Wood Elf army and really enjoyed it. Jump forwards 3 years and I first encountered Malifaux. Basically at the same time Joel was getting drawn in, I had brought an Ironblaster to complete my £300 Ogre army. Having just spent this money on a warhammer army, I was unwilling to drop it straight away for the new system. However, the rest of the warhammer group at SQUIGS, the local gaming club, were being drawn into it and I thought ‘what the hey, I’ll join in’. So I got my hands on a Seamus crew and started playing Ressurectionists.

For that year I played Seamus as my only master. I was buying other models and building the crew up, but essentially I played with a combination of Seamus, 3 Belles, 3 Necropunks, 3 Drowned and Dead Rider. I got to know these models quite well and thought I was doing alright with them. I was winning about 40% of my games and getting to know the combinations that these models had with each other. I also had Sybelle, but I didn’t like the model and did a shoddy paint job, even by my standards, so just didn’t use her, even when I probably should have. But as I got into the game, I was drawn to the other green, and after playing Seamus for the year, I changed faction and brought the Som’er box set. 

The rabble that is the Gremlins were fun! I really enjoyed painting them to what I still think is some of my best painting. Also, what could possibly be cooler than loading a catapult with exploding bacon and smashing face. I actually achieved this in my first game with them, dropping bacon onto Molly. This may have given me false hope of how good the Gremlins actually are, and I quickly found out that they are as liable to shoot themselves in the foot as blow the enemies head off. Maybe more likely to shoot themselves… 

When M2E came along, I was thrilled to see gremlins were becoming a faction! Maybe they will actually be good! Actually, I was nearly right, they are good, I just haven’t worked out how yet! Ophillia seems to be the better choice at the minute, purely because of the lack of tactics required for her to work, point and shoot, point and shoot. However, Som’er is, in my opinion, more fun to play. I like the way he still can sit at the back and pull the strings for the crew, but also get stuck in and squeel away.

So, what am I currently up to? Well I love the new stuff that has come out and am really temped to get as much as I can afford. I have everything Gremlin that is out, and am willing to wait until the Brewmaster model comes out instead of proxying. Back in Resurrections,  I’ve got Seamus and McMourning, and the lack of Nico doesn’t bother me as I really dislike the model. The new artwork looks good so I shall probably get him when the plastics come out. The other faction I dipped into was the Outcasts because in 1.5 having the Viks and Von Shill really helped when declaring Outcasts to use Gremlins and then a horrible strategy came up, like slaughter, I could switch to Viks and go hit stuffs! So I have 2 masters in each faction I own, and don’t want to /can’t expand any of them.

I did, I’m ashamed to say, dip into Neverborn to get Zoriada for the Gremlins, and the new Neverborn stuff is awesome! This means that I could be getting Lilith or Pandora as my next crew. But actually I really don’t want to do this. Not only due to my dislike of the Neverborn, but also I don’t see them as something new. I already have 1 master who I can use in them, but it feels wrong. Therefore, I’m thinking about getting a completely new crew. By this, I mean new faction which I’ve never before got close to touching. This could provide both a new tactical challenge and a chance to try something completely new modelling wise. I am currently in a fierce debate with myself on what to do to this end. 

Anyway, I shall make this the end of my first blog post. I know this one has been a bit self-centred, but that’s what is on my mind at the minute. I shall be playing Gremlins at Fist Full of Fate and so will hopefully pick up some new tactics and ideas from there.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated so long as they aren’t too mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment