Saturday 16 November 2013

It takes a while to adjust to new things...



Hello again! Second blog post, and its 100% more posts than any other blog I’ve done before! So I’m going to try and get a post out a week, talking about what I’ve done and learned in that week. Some weeks I shall do very little, and some I’ll do lots, but that’s life ain’t it! 

So, this week I’ve been learning how to play Zoraida (in Gremlins because I’m not scum!). My first game was against Joel Henry, so let’s get the obvious stated, I lost. However, I thought I played well. I knew right from the start that I was going to lose, scarily Joel did a trick Zoaida herself would be proud of and predicted a 2 point difference at the end of the game. So my aim was just to score as many points as possible, not to try and stop Joel from scoring, I knew I’d just trip over myself. The strategy was Reckoning, and we both took identical schemes, Entourage and Breakthough. The schemes suited my new crew, with 3 Silurids to complete breakthough and animal form on Zoraida to obtain Entourage. Against Lilith, the Silurids had very little problems in getting across the board as they had to get caught in combat to get killed. This may seem a strange point to be making now, but it comes up again later! As it was my first game with Zoraida, I didn’t understand quite how tough she is to take out, so I was hiding her like I would Som’er or Ophilia. This meant I wasn’t using her to her full potential basically all she did in that game was score me 3 points for Entourage. I lost this game on the strategy. I could not kill any of the neverborn. This may be because I didn’t try as hard as I should have to kill the Terror Tots, however I know how tough they are to take down having seen Lady J take 3 swings at one and leave it standing. But I also don’t think the Silurids and Bad Juju have the punch to take any tough minions such as those in the Lilith crew. 

My next two games were both against Brooks. We got two in because I was shockingly bad in both of them, both in the way I played my own crew and in the way I reacted to his Rasputina. In the first game, the strategy was Reconnoiter and my schemes were Line in the Sand and Cursed Object. My thought process behind those schemes was that it was very achievable by a group of 3 leaping Silurids. I then promptly dropped 5 scheme markers on the centre line by the end of turn 2. This was a mistake for 2 main reasons. Reason one was that in dropping these markers I left all of my Silurids out in the open, in front of Decembers Acolytes, Raspy and Gamins. They were shot. Wacked. Smashed. Blown to smithereens. What I’m trying to say was they were killed. This then opened up the second reason. The Silurids were near enough ½ my crew. This left me with only Bad Juju, Zoraida, Voodoo Doll and a Piglet, which were powerless to prevent Decembers crew removing all of my markers and taking the game. This took all of an hour, ish. So onto game 2 we went.

Game 2 was smaller, 30 stones, which was basically the boxsets. The scheme was Squatters Rights and the schemes that I had taken were Power Ritual and Take Prisoner on the Ice Golem. The theory behind this should be obvious, the Silurids would creep up the side of the board avoiding raspy, and Bad Juju would march into the centre marker and be locked in a stalemate with the Ice Golem. Zoriada could then jump into the centre when needed to score the points for that and be a general nuisance. This plan nearly worked! Except again I overestimated the toughness of Silurids, and as I was creeping up the sides, they got wacked by bloody Ice Gamin! Then in the centre, my plan was working near perfectly until the final turn. Bad Juju was fighting off the Ice Golem, and Zoriada was sat next to the centre marker, hiding around a corner. Then the Ice Golem used its smash attack. Buggar. It hit and did the minimum wounds, but this was still enough to take the poor Mire Golem down. This left me no choice but to jump Zoriada into combat with the Golem, which seemed like an OK choice to get me VP for Take Prisoner as Zoriada was unlikely to get hit. I did not take into account Rasputina hitting the Golem and splash damaging Zoriada to death. My points total improved, losing 6-4, so was a vast improvement in very little time, or at least the way I chose to look at it! 

That’s all from me for this week, hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment